Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Dear Governor Corzine

"Here's a copy of the letter mom and Dad wrote to Governor Corzine on September 8, 2009. They copied many of our elected officials."

---

September 8, 2009

Governor Jon Corzine
Office of the Governor
P.O. Box 001
Trenton, New Jersey 08625

Dear Governor Corzine:

What do New Jersey, Mississippi and Louisiana have in common? According to the New Jersey Department of the Public Advocate, these 3 states rank the worst in institutionalizing adults with developmental disabilities. Rather than providing necessary enriching individualized, community based care to this population, New Jersey’s facilities most often offer the least to those most in need. Our daughter, Annie Leeds has a developmental disability and is a New Jersey resident.

Annie suffers with Rett Syndrome a degenerative neurological disorder. She cannot walk, talk and has no control over purposeful movements of her arms. There is a feeding tube that helps provide her nutrition. Seizures are a regular part of her life. For her, each day is a tremendous struggle, yet she greets each day with a bright smile and enthusiasm.

Annie’s needs were assessed by her school district when she turned 18. The municipality agreed that Annie was medically fragile and that the most appropriate ‘local’ care could be provided by the Center for Discovery.

Annie turned 21 this past December. For 3 years she has lived in the Center’s residential facility. For Annie, it has provided her with a life of dignity. Treated with care and compassion, she found a home away from home. She lived in her own room in a house with her peers. Annie thriv ed in an enriching environment. For Annie, and us, the last 3 years have been a gift.

Annie made the mistake of turning 21 this past December. She doesn’t know it, but having lived to adulthood brought on a new set of problems for her. You see, once she became an adult, Annie’s care transitioned from the school district to the DDD, an arm of the New Jersey government, which is forcing her back into the state of New Jersey without regard to meeting her acknowledged needs. The Center for Discovery is in New York state.

Nothing about Annie’s disability or her medical, social or psychological condition changed to warrant Annie’s removal from the Center. Because New Jersey does not have intermediate care facilities in home-like settings for the medically fragile, as New York and Pennsylvania do, (the Center is one such facility) there is substantial concern that Annie’s minimum quality of life needs will not be met.

We made frantic efforts to keep our child in her New York residence until a suitable alternative could be found. Last Monday the New Jersey Supreme Court denied our emergent application. Tuesday morning there was a party for Annie at the Center. Her belongings were packed up, and Annie took a trip to a diminished existence.

While Annie had lived in a residential placement, consistent with her needs, she was now told she would be spending her days in the Eastern Christian Children’s Retreat. She would be in a hospital like setting, in a “bedroom” with 3 other people. Despite medical reports of the damage this would do, this was the best she would be offered.

But the story was not over. Thursday brought news that ECCR had no beds for Annie. Having mandated that Annie relocate, there was now no place for Annie to go.

Friday, the DDD suggested that there was a place for Annie in Hunterdon County’s Developmental Center. She would not be going to a facility integrated with the community, as the ‘Olmstead’ law mandated, but to one that was in the process of being emptied of its occupants, due to its isolated, hospital-like environment and lack of social and community opportunities for its residents.

It is impossible to understand what it means to be the parents of a special needs child. Annie also has an 18 year old brother who is autistic. For us, to watch this miscarriage unfold is bewildering.

We live very close to the New York border. Yet, finances alone, not distance or quality of care, are directing whether or not Annie’s agreed upon medical and psychological needs will be met. Annie has found herself in the United States of New Jersey with no apparent way out.

Annie’s case needs immediate attention. The State of New Jersey must do everything it can for this young woman who literally has no voice of her own. Don’t put her away, and don’t just treat her like another number. The State must step up. As is a primary duty of the government, make certain you provide the most for the least among us. Don’t end her life at 21.

Sincerely,
Nancy Leeds
Harvey Leeds

---

"Since then we have been met mostly with silence. My local assemblyman John Rooney never responded. Mom called his office twice but he was never available to speak. No word back from Governor Corzine, Congressman Garrett, Senator Frank Lautenberg, Senator Robert Menendez or County Executive Dennis McNerney. Senator Weinberg's office did respond but while the person mom spoke to did seem sympathetic, there's been no further contact.

While I am still at home, I am homeless. I do not belong here and I do not belong where they want me to go. They should pay attention to me and to my cause. I am important enough. They just don't understand that yet.

The state needs to understand that Mom and Dad love me and have always cared about the quality of my life. They could never place me at either of the New Jersey Developmental Centers we visited. Yet, yesterday, mom accidently gave me two doses of my Trileptal seizure medicine. She's tired and stressed out, I don't blame her but it made me vomit twice and I was really tired all day. She called my neurologist and he told her I would be alright and I am. Mom never did anything like that before. She's exhuasted from caring for me constantly trying to make sure I get my excercise, feeding me, bathing, getting me out of the house. I'm a full time job for two people."

5 comments:

  1. I agree!! What can I do to help??? I'm in Georgia. I would love to sign a petition or anything. Please let me know. My prayers are with you.

    Sincerly,
    Ciara Wetherell
    303-549-9825

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy and Harvey,

    I will pass this along to everyone I know, including my media and political contacts. This is deplorable. I can't even get through reading this without feeling your pain and of course, Annie's. You have our staunch support.

    Cindy and Steve Kief

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy and Harvey,
    Were you ever shown Spectrum for Living's Intermediate Care Facility for medically fragile disabled adults in (I believe) Northvale, NJ?
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Annie,
    You are a beautiful, strong and courageous woman. I believe in you as I always have since I met you when you were 8 years old. Your special spirit touched my life, Annie, and I want to help you in any way I can. I will absolutely write those letters! This is so appalling! I plan on getting more people involved, too! Stay well,
    Love,
    Sara Vanek

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Annie:

    You are truly an inspiration to all of us. I will definitely contact our governor's office to voice my opinion on this terrible situation. I hope you stay strong and know that people do care, even though our politician's sometimes don't. I know you will continue to be the wonderful woman you are. All my love and strength to you.

    Carol Tatarian

    ReplyDelete